- Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedics
- Languages Spoken: English, Arabic
Dr Sartawi Muthana is the Director of the Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Centre at King’s College Hospital London in Dubai Hills. King’s is one of the only centres in the GCC that allows patients to be discharged same day, resulting in minimal pain and rapid recovery.
Former orthopedic surgeon fellow trained in total joint replacement at the internationally renowned Rush University Medical Center in Chicago Illinois. Medical licenses include unrestricted state medical licenses in New York, California, Illinois, and Texas.
Faculty in the Department of Surgery at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, former Director of the OSF Joint Care Center of Excellence, and former Chairman of the Department of Orthopedics at Christie Clinic in Urbana, Illinois.
Dr Sartawi’s minimally invasive approach to knee replacement surgery is called the “Modified Intervastus Approach to the Knee,” which was published in peer-reviewed journals and has contributed to an accelerated and rapid recovery post total knee replacement surgery. Other intellectual property includes a patent on a revised acetabular component design for total hip replacements.
Same Day Joint Replacement Surgery
Dr. Sartawi is one of the pioneers of one-day joint replacement surgery in the Central Illinois area, as well as the Middle East. He has performed around 1,000 total knee replacement surgeries using his new technique with a success rate of 98% in the US and GCC. His technique has been published in peer-reviewed journals and was granted a patent from the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Patient testimonial – One day surgery, exceptional patients outcomes
• Fellow, Orthopedics Adult Reconstruction, Rush University Medical Center (2013-2014)
• Orthopedics Residency at the University of Dalhousie (Halifax, NS, Canada) (2010-2013)
• Neurosurgery Residency at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada (2007-2010)
• Trainee at Farwaniya District General Hospital Dept. of General Surgery in Kuwait (2006)
• M.D, Arabian Gulf University, Manama, Bahrain (2006)
• American Board of Orthopedics Diplomat (2016)
• Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (2013)
• New York State Medical License
• Texas State Medical license
• California State Medical License
• Illinois State Medical License
• LMCC certificate (Canada)
• ECFMG certificate (U.S.A)
• College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta Extender License
• College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia Medical License
• Orthopedic Surgeon, Sarah Bush Lincoln, Mattoon, Illinois (2016-Present)
• Assistant Professor , University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Dept. of Surgery (2014-2019)
• Chair, Christie Clinic Department of Orthopedics, Champaign, Illinois (2016-2018)
• Director, OSF Joint Care Center of Excellence, Urbana, Illinois (2015-2018)
• Orthopedic Surgeon, Christie Clinic, Champaign, Illinois (2014-2018)
• Orthopedic Surgeon, Presence Hospital, Urbana, Illinois (2014-2017)
• Sartawi, Muthana, Kohlman, James, Leighton, Ross, Rahman, Hafizur, Kersh, Mariana “A Retrospective Analysis of the Modified Intervastus Approach,” American Journal of Orthopedics, Dec 2018.
• Sartawi, Muthana, Zurakowski, David, Rosenberg, Aaron, “Implant Survivorship and Complication Rates after Total Knee Arthroplasty with a Third generation Cemented System: Minimum 15 Years Follow-Up,” American Journal of Orthopedics, March 2018.
• Sartawi, Muthana, Kohlman, James, Valle, Della “Modified Intervastus Approach to the Knee,” Journal of Knee Surgery, May 2018.
• Sartawi, Muthana, Quateen, Ahmed, Nataraj, Andrew, Medairos, Robert, “Spinal Intradural Aneurysmal Bone Cyst: A Case Report,” World Neurosurgery, Aug 2015.
• Sartawi, Muthana, Jones, Chris, Guerin, Shane, Dunbar, Michael, “Medial Tibial Plateau Stress Fracture Following Navigated Total Knee Arthroplasty: Case Report,” Submitted to Stryker, 2012.
• Darsaut, Tim, Sartawi, Muthana, Dhaliwal, Perry, Fox, Richard, “Rapid magnetic resonance imaging-guided reduction of craniovertebral junction deformities: Technical note,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, Feb 2009.
• U. S. Patent 10.149.774BI: “Method of Performing A Modified Intervastus,” December 11, 2018
• U.S. Patent 9,931,213 B2: “Acetabular Cup and Insertion,” April 3, 2018
• U. S. Patent (Pending): “Proximally Fitting Femoral Stem Adjunctive Screw Fixation,” July 2019
Honors and awards
• Recipient, Achievement Award in Knee Replacement Surgery, Emir (Ruler) of Kuwait H.H
• Recipient, Achievement Award in Knee Replacement Surgery, Crown Prince H.H Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Sabah
• Recipient, Achievement Award in Knee Replacement Surgery, Kuwait Minister of Health, Dr. Jamal Al Harbi
• Recipient, Achievement Award in Knee Replacement Surgery, Governor of District of Farwaniya, H.H Sheikh Faisal Al Hmoud Al Sabah
• Recipient, Achievement Award in Knee Replacement Surgery, Kuwait Youth Sports Authority
• Recipient, Kuwait Ministry of Health, Full sponsorship for orthopedic surgery residency at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada (2007)
• Recipient, Kuwait Ministry of Higher Education full scholarship, M.D, Arabian Gulf University in Bahrain (2003)
• Recipient, Washington University Dean’s Scholarship (1999)
• Recipient, High school graduating class salutatorian award (1999)
• Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
• Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
• North American Spine Society
• American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons – Class 2018